Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Type 1

Do you have a “Type”? Seems like a simple question and for me it has a simple answer. My answer is NO. I see a person and decide if that is someone I want to know better and go from there. I don’t look for a type I look for an attraction.

But I seem to notice, more and more, that people (and yes I am referring more about women here) have a type that they prefer. All too often I want to ask these people, “So, how’s that working out for you?” The reason I would ask is that I cannot name a person I know who has been fixated on a type that has had any lasting success. It reminds me of Albert Einstein’s saying:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.


Most people I know who have a type have been married multiple times and have had even more failed relationships with their type of person. So how can this be YOUR type? If it never works out then don’t you think it is time you changed what you are looking for instead of trying to make something work that never has in the past?

I have friends who are so detailed in what they want they have lists of physical, ideological and social characteristics that define their type. And again, they find someone who has all or most of these items and yet it doesn’t work for them. NEXT. Is it possible that they are being too specific about what they think is right for them and ignoring the possibility that what they need doesn’t match the list they have?

Maybe it is good to have a general idea of what attracts you, but should you ignore or dismiss the other possibilities. I don’t think I have a type. I have been attracted to different types all my life - can’t say that has really worked for me. Maybe at 41 and single (never married) I should break down and create a list of my type... nah. Can’t bring myself to be that narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment